Early in 2003, Eastern Construction was awarded the Construction Management contract for the National Ballet School’s Project Grand Jeté (Big Leap). This major expansion and renovation project is located on two historic blocks and is valued at approximately $60-million. The new state-of-the-art dance training and academic facility included the construction of a 178,000 sq. ft. Jarvis Studio Block providing 12 dance studios, a resource centre, and administration offices. The project also included the preservation of two important heritage buildings. The historic 1898 Havergal Ladies’ College houses eight academic classrooms, a computer lab, an art studio, an audio-visual room, science labs, a photo lab, and a music room. The 1856 home of Ontario’s longest serving Premier, known as Northfield House, had been transformed into a new ceremonial and executive hub for the complex.
- OAA Awards, Design Excellence, 2013
- American Institute of Architects (AIA) - 2007 Institute Honour Award
- Award of Excellence in the 32nd annual Heritage Toronto Architectural Conservation & Craftsmanship Category, 2006
- TCA's Best of the Best Project Achievement Award - Large Project Category, 2005
- Toronto Urban Design Awards - Awards of Excellence, 2007
- Urban Land Institute 2008 Global Awards for Excellence