Eastern Construction - Est. 1951

Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto Residence

Project Details

Eastern Construction was selected as the Construction Manager to construct the new home for the Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto. The 96,000 sq. ft facility is a four storey low-rise curvilinear building located between a ravine edge and a landscaped open space within an East York residential neighbourhood at the intersection of Broadview Avenue and O’Connor Drive.  The Sisters retained the Taylor residence, a heritage building that currently exists on the site, which links directly to their new building.  The building contains 65 residential suites for the Sisters, shared dining facilities, lobby and activity spaces, a chapel and support spaces.  The facility includes thirty assisted living units and thirty-five private hospital units which provide rehabilitation, convalescent and palliative care.  The ground floor of the Taylor House contains multi-purpose rooms for meetings, gatherings and social activities, and three ensuite guest rooms for visitors are located on the second floor.

Awards Received

  • 2014 Top Honours in the buildings category at the 40th Annual Heritage Toronto Awards

  • 2014 Governor General's Medals in Architecture - Shim-Sutcliffe Architects
  • Toronto Construction Association (TCA) "Best of the Best Awards" Project Achievement - Medium Project Category, 2013

Project Location

Toronto, Ontario

Architect

Shim-Sutcliffe Architects

Client

Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto

Value

$43,000,000