The City of Hamilton will modernize 50 Main Street East, a former municipal court, to provide appropriate long-term accommodations for the Provincial Offences Administration including 4 courtrooms, Ontario Municipal Board, and the City of Hamilton’s Legal Services & Risk Management Divisions. The scope of work includes:
- Phased selective demolition of the entire facility, protecting the sensitive heritage fabric of the building.
- Retrofit of the existing heating/cooling plant to utilize hot water, replacing steam. The existing Ors, chiller, and cooling tower shall be upgraded utilizing designs developed by HH Angus.
- Provision of a modern Emergency Power Unit consisting of a roof-mounted generator.
- Renovation of the first and second floors to accommodate the Provincial Offences Administration including 4 courtrooms, Ontario Municipal Board, Administration Area, Hearing Room, and 4 courtrooms. Also provide offices for City of Hamilton’s Legal Services.
- Demolition of floors three, four, and five to base building core and shell standards for future tenants.
- Upgrades to subgrade receiving area including the installation of security systems and realignment of existing building infrastructure to provide barrier free access in the holding areas.