Point Edward Chairty Casino was an adaptive reuse of an abandoned 1950s CN rail shed adjacent the Blue River Bridge near Sarnia, Ontario. OLG reused the derelict building, as opposed to demolishing it, to retain the existing siting, allowing the new casino to be immediately adjacent the river’s edge. The facility features 450 slot machines and 36 gaming tables.
Eastern undertook selective demolition of the building, including remediation of hazardous materials and designated substances both within the building and surrounding soils. Working closely with the structural engineer, Eastern refurbished the structure and reinforced selected areas to accommodate uneven snow loads, not taken into consideration when initially constructed in the 1950’s. Supplementary bracing was introduced to allow for the removal of the existing masonry sheer cross-walls. A signature tower was added to the building, independent of the existing structure, and set upon piles, with loads transferred to the existing shore/dock wall.
Constructed at a cost of $45 Million, Eastern completed the remediation, site works, exterior, and interior fit-out over a 16-month period.